Re: How to solve race condition between IPv6 ifup and start of services?

On Sun, 22 May 2011 13:41:22 +0200, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
>Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2011 15:42:51 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
>> wrote:
>>>With an event-based init system such as upstart, you could also set up the
>>>service not to start until the specified interface is fully configured.
>>
>> Issue (1): We don't have event-based init system yet
>> Issue (2): When is an IPv6 interface "fully configured"?
>
>Or: When is *any* interface "fully configured"?
>
>The subject does not really have anything to do with IPv6.  Interfaces
>may have any addresses added or removed, and you may want to define
>service policies depending on some specific network state.  This applies
>just as much to IPv4 as to IPv6.

It just happens much more frequently with IPv6, since IPv6 has DAD,
stateless autoconfig, and it is more comon to have multiple IP
addresses. An incomplete IPv4 networking setup doesn't work. An
incomplete IPv6 networking setup is "kind of" operational.

>I believe Debian as a distribution should be extremely careful about
>predefining policies, but preferably give the administrators the tools
>necessary to define them.  So please don't try to define "fully
>configured" for me.

But in my opinion, it would be a valid approach to offer one
definition of "fully configured" and offer the local admin the
opportunity to say "I don't want this".

>And if someone wants a scriptable solution for SLAAC, then writing a
>small daemon listening for netlink events and running scripts based on
>them should be piece-of-cake.  In fact, it is so easy that it is
>probably already done.

Is it already packaged?

Greetings
Marc