Re: How to solve race condition between IPv6 ifup and start of services?

On Sat, 21 May 2011 17:22:05 +0200, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
wrote:
>A similar issue (not directly IPv6 related) was discussed on fedora-devel not
>very long ago. It was about the more "dynamic" nature of NetworkManager and how
>certain services currently don't cope with the network not being up and fully
>configured, when they start up. [1]
>
>See some suggestions how to address this are at [2].

That article says that servers should use FREEBIND or subscribe to
netlink for changes. This is a major effort which needs upstream
cooperation or local patches.

The third option suggests that the network manager option mentioned
there is what one would need for ifupdown, and I don't have the
slightest idea how one could guess whether the networks is "done" now.

Greetings
Marc