How to become a contributor?

Hi,

I've been a GNU/Debian user for a long time now, after trying out
Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, etc. Now, I'm stuck at Debian,
which I find the best distribution not limited  to GNU/Linux.

I would like to contribute more than just being a passive reader of the
email lists and submitting bugs. How to proceed, I would like to start
to adopt package(s) no longer being maintained actively, not adopt
abandoned ones. As a start, I would need a sponsor to do the upload. How
to proceed?

Thank you for your time!
Svante