Re: httpd-cgi is it really CGI or maybe *CGI instead

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:51:23PM +0400, Anton Martchukov wrote:
> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt says

"httpd-cgi               A CGI capable HTTP server"

I would argue it was correct for nginx to not provide httpd-cgi, if it does not
support CGI. python-moinmoin's Recommendation of libapache2-mod-wsgi |
httpd-cgi is too tight to be covered by nginx (note that it is non-the-less a
recommendation, not a dependency).

If you introduced "httpd-fastcgi" or similar, you would need to change all
httpd servers that provided fastcgi.  It might be more pragmatic to change
moinmoin to libapache2-mod-wsgi | nginx | httpd-cgi.

I see that nginx-full provides: nginx, but nginx is not listed in policy's list
of virtual packages. It's also a *real* package, albeit a dummy one.  Several
real packages depend on that name.

--
Jon Dowland