Re: Writing to /etc/ from a "privileged" UI

Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 04:59:39PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 May 2011 09:45:41 -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, one normal user should not be able to override the admin
>> > defaults for another user, so if there is already an entry in /etc, wicd
>> > should place any user change to that entry in ~user, but new,
>> > non-conflicting entries should go in /var/lib.  Then, the order of
>> > preference should be ~user, /etc, /var/lib.
>>
>> I can't understand all this. Network connections are system-wide by their own
>> nature -- or do you know cases where there could be different concurrent
>> connections used by different users?
>
> No.

Not at the same time, but someone might allow a user of a laptop to
access their WLAN, but neither accept that an other user of the laptop
should be able to use the same network without asking, nor that the keys
be written in a system-wide configuration file.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Vorstand B90/Grüne OV Miltenberg und Umgebung