Re: Request for testing: /run and initscripts

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:43:42PM +0200, chris h wrote:
> I could not find any references to debootstrap installations with
> the new /run setup.
>
> How is debootstrap - and any other program installing Debian -
> supposed to handle /run, esp. with the initscripts postinst
> detecting chroots and it not bringing in the preferred setup?

Currently, it does require initscripts to be installed, and it
only sets up symlinks rather than moving things around (which
isn't safe).  Once we have initscripts in unstable (should be
fairly soon now, the needed initramfs-tools changes are now
in git), base-files can then start to provide /run.  At this
point a debootstrap will result in a /run directory being
created, rather than a symlink.  We can probably also get
base-files to create the /var/run and /var/lock symlinks so
that you'll get a "correct" system when you debootstrap.

So this will work--it'll just take a bit of careful planning
so all the bits fall into place in the correct order.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh