Re: Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 in wheezy as default?

On Mon, 09 May 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> > We've been trying to avoid that kind of bad practice here in Brazil,
> > through an effort to get ISPs to undertand you do NOT issue /64 to
> > clients in the various NANOG-like (locally called "GTER") encounters
> > throughout the year.
> >
> > It is an uphill battle.  Time for an informational RFC, perhaps?  It
> > does help to point people at a RFC, where all technical arguments are
> > fully written down and explained.
>
> Allocating /48, /56 or /64 for end users is not a technical discussion.
> The arguments may be pseudo-techincal, but that's only an attempt to
> obscure the the real issue: market segmentation.

I assure you that is not what I heard from the big operators and
not-so-big ISPs enabling experimental IPv6 access to their users.  They
did not want to 'waste IPv6' (IPv4-shortage-induced paranoia), and some
were also worried that it would force users to have IPv6 routers if they
got anything bigger than a /64, etc.

Might not always be the case, obviously.  But it often is IME.

  Henrique Holschuh