Re: Writing to /etc/ from a "privileged" UI

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:39:07AM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm writing this mail to gather comments about a serious bug I received some
> time ago, for which I haven't yet had time to make a proper fix. The bug is
> #612918, against wicd, "Uses /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf as state file".
>
> My opinion is that wireless networks with some kind of configuration provided
> (say, a key, or a DNS server, or some static IP, [..]), should be saved there
> (so the bug really is: «don't uselessly save all the networks you encounter»
> -- and I already have a fix for that).
>
> The reporter's opinion is that no GUI should ever write to /etc/.
>
> However, WICD clients are run from privileged users, i.e. those in the `netdev'
> group, and are added there by root. So I think that's perfectly fine.

Aside from privileges wicd needs or has to write in /etc, how does it
handle read-only / (including /etc)? Does it fall back to /var?

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de
: :'  :  Debian Developer                                 www.debian.org