Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Sat, 07 May 2011, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> schrieb:
> > Yes.  I think it was Cyrus IMAP that required -I in places where
> > autoreconf doesn't reach, so I called each tool separately.  Which is
> > obviously a problem in autoreconf.
>
> Is it really a problem of autoreconf ?

Yes.

> Imagine the following situation:
>
> I'm (as upstream) using serval macros in their own .m4 files (eg.
> in ./m4/, maybe even sorted into subdirs). Can autoreconf figure
> out the required search pathes all on its own ?

The problem is that autoreconf offers NO command line options for you to
pass the required -I parameters for aclocal, nor is there a way to encode
that information in the one place where it could conveniently live
(configure.ac) AFAIK.

I sure hope it will NEVER decide to actually search for .m4 files at
non-standard directories on its own, that would make things much worse.

Anyway, you have to work around it using something like:

ACLOCAL='aclocal -I foo -I bar' autoreconf

(assuming that even works, I didn't test).  I consider that way too icky.
At that point, I just call each required tool directly in autogen.sh,
instead of relying on autoreconf.

  Henrique Holschuh