Re: glibc: causes segfault in Xorg

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 12:29:50PM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I'm with Linus on this: let's just revert to the old behaviour.  A
> > tiny amount of clock cycles saved isn't worth the instability.
>
> Tiny amount?! The optimized memcpy() variants that break shitty code
> bring a 4 to 5x speedup on the processors they've been written for!

Though I didn't see any actual time measurements in the bug thread, I
am sure there is a speedup of some kind for the memcpy() call itself.
I'm not interested in that.

I am interested to know the speedup -- measured in real-world
conditions -- for actual, popular applications.

But I'm really not interested that much.  I'm really interested in
having a running system.  Yes, even one with buggy software that
happens to be important to me.

Cheers,
-Steve