Re: PPAs for Debian

On Tue, 03 May 2011 at 14:46:11 -0600, René Mayorga wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:56:15PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > I'd even dare to say that having something like PPA for
> > Debian is a priority.
>
> I do not agree on this, if the package is good enough and has somebody willing
> to maintain it, the package may belong to the archive.

As I understand it, the value of PPAs (or similar) for Debian would be that
they solve the problem of "we only have one experimental".

For instance, if upstream stable branch 0.2.x is in testing, a freeze is in
progress, the current upstream stable branch is 0.4.x and they're already
making 0.5.x development releases (projects on 6-month release cycles, like
KDE, GNOME and Telepathy, can easily get into this situation), maintainers
currently end up using unstable for 0.2.x, and having to decide which is more
useful for experimental - preparing packaging for the 0.4.x stable branch,
or getting early testing for 0.5.x.

With a PPA-like thing, you could replace experimental with gnome-stable
and gnome-devel PPAs (or whatever), and have both available at the same time.