On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:55:01PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2011-04-28, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > But I don't plan to work on any of those if the project does not agree to
> > promote testing to something that can be advertised as usable by end-users
> > and as something that we strive to support on a best-effort basis.
>
> It's already the case that you can go and send a mail to debian-release@ that
> package X needs to be put into testing more quickly than the set urgency or
> asking for permission to upload to t-p-u to fix bugs if the upload is
> entangled.  And apart from that it's supported on a best-effort basis already
> with bug fixes trickling from unstable into it and critical stuff being
> fixed faster.

Sure. But the procedures you mention above all require work from the
maintainer + the release team, while they would require work only from
the maintainer in the (hypothetical) "rolling" scenario. Under heavy
load periods for the release team---not only freezes, but also periods
with a huge stack of transitions to be completed---the presence of an
extra participant might easily become a bottleneck inducing more work
(and stress) on everybody shoulders and more delays.

In general we need to promote the reduction of (potential) bottlenecks
in Debian rather than the contrary. ... and don't get me wrong: I'm very
well aware that this specific "bottleneck" is a very good feature to
have for the preparation of a stable release, given it means more
scrutiny and ultimately more quality.  But given that "rolling" seems to
be willing to trade some of that stability off in favor of fresher
software, it might be warranted to lift it off there.

So yes, you're right that _technically_ we can achieve the same with
current procedures, but I argue that the underlying procedure doesn't
scale (which is unsurprising, given it's been designed for a different
purpose).

Cheers.