Re: Multiarch, policy and cross-compiler libraries for non-Debian architectures

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:51:53 +0200, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:29:39PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > I would rather add a new architecture to dpkg for this. This does not
> > mean that debian has to create a new port or that the packages have to
> > stop being arch:all. But dpkg should know about it and be the one and
> > only place packages query for the right multiarch triplet. Then you
> > would use
> >    /usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -aw64-mingw32 -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
> > when building your package. Problem solved.
>
> Sounds like a great idea to me!
>
> It would fix the inconsistency I mentioned in another branch of this thread.
>
> I'd use just "win32" and "win64" for short names of the architectures, since
> we don't have i386-gcc, i386-clang and i386-tcc when all of them use glibc.
>
> Once it is hidden inside dpkg's bowels, the triplet might be even
> i586-i686-w32-w64-w128-but-really-w32-klaatu-verata-nikto-mingw-w42.

So if I understand things correctly that would mean using /usr/lib/win32
and /usr/lib/win64, regardless of the binutils/gcc triplet (which is fine as
far as I'm concerned - all I'm wary of is changing the gcc triplet used
upstream, see http://bugs.debian.org/622276 - obviously, Adam, you know about
this, but others probably don't).

Goswin, I take it you're advocating building _win32.deb packages (or
something similar) - is that correct? I didn't even realise that would be
possible without appropriate buildds... I know about “dpkg-buildpackage -a”
or “pdebuild --architecture” for local rebuilds, but would rebuilding such a
package be possible on the existing buildd network?

Regards,

Stephen