Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

* Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [110420 13:59]:
> It’s not only a problem of ugliness. The #1 usability problem with the
> Debian menu is the huge amount of entries. If you repeat this mistake
> with the freedesktop menus, a menu system that has been nice so far
> (nice, not great) would become almost as crappy as the previous
> situation.

I can agree that people can have different opinions and I do not care
about what gnome shows by default.

But for me having everything in the menu is its most important feature.
I do not want to tell every single user "oh, hey there is also this and
this and this and this package installed you might need for your job,
its just hidden because some thought users in other places most likely
do not need to see it by default".

(And I am very grateful that I can copy /etc/xdg/menus/debian-menu.menu
to /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-menu.menu to also get that menu for users of
gnome).

> Said otherwise: you’re entitled to improve the situation for crapwm if
> you want, but if you break GNOME in the process, I don’t see this as a
> win.

As long as there are menu files and mailcap files, I'll happy use and
let use my users them in all the different "crapWMs".

But the discussion is about taking them away.

And if those "crapWM"s should use .desktop files then I'll complain and
do what I can to get .desktop files useable for that.

	Bernhard R. Link