Re: Tool to sort package list in dependency order

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 22:17, Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> wrote:
> Do we have a tool that will sort a list of packages in dependency order?
> I ask because if we have one, I'd like to use it to replace the tsort
> mess in emacsen-common.

Given the immense information you provided:

$ apt-get -s install A B | awk '/^Inst / {print $2}'

Assuming that these "packages" are available in a repository known to APT
(or at least in a format it could understand), that we are on a system where
apt-get is available (=nothing for upstream if existent), that the solution
should depend on the current system (which could be avoided) and that
unpack order is your "dependency order" - configure order (^Conf) would be
the other possibility but i would prefer if dpkg can work this out for you as
it does for me so far (man apt.conf - PackageManager::Configure "smart")
(assuming that we are talking about installing with dpkg at all).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies, who hacks APT with vim…