Re: Static libraries in development packages

Hi there.

Nobody thought to mention that static linking can dramatically increase performance, or to put it the other way around, dynamic linking can incur serious runtime penalties.

I don't want to encourage everyone to start static linking everywhere just to get a few percentage points in efficiency, obviously your mileage may vary, but basically my treedb project got 100 times faster and meta-treedb got at least 20 times faster,
through static linking on x86_64.

You can get these from SourceForge.

These do little more than function calls and memory access through memory maps,
so maybe they're unusual in this respect.

I've yet to upload the versions (including v3c) that build static libraries and the
static tests, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Philip