Re: network-manager as default? No!

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:26:06 +0000 (UTC), Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:53:13 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> >> Is it necessary for the distribution's *default* network-management
> >> solution to handle all of these?
> >
> > Yes. For a distribution which is targeted to support servers properly,
> > yes, definitely. For everything else there is Ubuntu.
>
> Surely a person managing a server can do "aptitude install ifupdown
> network-manager-"?

You appear to want to inflict extra work on large swathes of our
users.  If that is the case, I'd like to see some sort of justification
for that.

What is it that installing N-M on servers will gain us or our users?

I don't perceive the advantage. Many other people in this thread don't
seem to perceive it.  I don't believe that anyone's even hinted at the
advantage, but perhaps I missed it.

In the absence of such justification, I don't see what's wrong with the
status quo (i.e. N-M on Gnome desktops by default, ifupdown elsewhere by
default, with both choices entirely overridable by the user)

Cheers, Phil.