Re: More Vcs-Fields in debian/control?

Le Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:08:33PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> On 04/07/2011 10:11 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
> >
> > The key concept is to store ‘Field: value’ data in a file called
> > debian/upstream-metadata.yaml, and to access it from the VCS where
> > the package is stored (that is, not from the source package itself).
>
> Uh please not yet another file in yet another format.
> If you really need yet another file, please don't use yet another markup
> language, use something RFC822ish.

Hi Bernd,

I think that the format used in Debian control data files only shows
superiority when they consist of multiple paragraphs, in particular when these
are ordered.

For single paragraphs, YAML is actually very similar to Debian's control data
files.  The advantage of YAML is the availability of many facilities like
parsers, command-line and on-line validators, and documentation.

YAML is also used in other Debian processes, like for instance some reports
generated by the FTP team.  All in all, I do not have the impression that the
use of YAML would cause difficulties to Debian packages maintainers.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,