On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:48:06PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > /etc/adjtime
>
> This needs to survive reboots, and it is also needed early in the boot.
> It is used to correct the RTC syndrome.
>
> I am at a loss about how it could be made compatible with RO /.
>
> > > /etc/hosts.deny (written by denyhosts, hence that one is a bit hard to fix)

This one really belongs under /var given that it's writable.  Do we
really need it that urgently before /var is mounted?  Can't we reload
whatever is using it after /var becomes available?  Isn't this also
state which is continually adjusted and rewritten, i.e. is system
state rather than static configuration?

> > Don't have that. Fix denyhosts to link that to /var/ (or /run when we
> > have it).
>
> Has to be available before any tcp-wrapped network service is started.

This won't be until after /var is mounted.  Can't dynamically added
entried be added to /var/lib/wrap/hosts.* (for example) and then
libwrap can be patched to read both locations, allowing for static
configuration in /etc, and dynamic added/removed under /var.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh