[Roger Leigh]
>   As a followup, I would like to get the UTF-8 codeset and collation
>   hardcoded in libc6 directly and sharable by all UTF-8 locales to
>   reduce startup time and needless duplication

Collation is not just a function of character set, it's quite
locale-dependent.  Not sure if the character class tables (<ctype.h>
functions, and the [:foo:] posix regex classes) could be shared across
UTF-8 locales.  I rather suspect not.

When you take out collation and possibly character classes, I'm not
sure whether there's anything in the UTF-8 locales left to hardcode
into libc.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/