Re: ddebs

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> I'd also mandate the use of build-ids for .ddebs and add refcounting support
> (like has been done for multiarch AFAIK) to dpkg for them, so we don't need to
> worry about Conflicts / Replaces.

For multi-arch, it's the _same_ package (but just another architecture of it) that
can share _identical_ files and where we have refcounting.

This can't be generalized to just any package, it's just contrary to the
logic of our packaging tools.

When do you have such conflicts? I hear when you have the same binary in
multiple package... but in that case both packages already conflict and
you can just copy the existing conlict field and add the -ddeb suffix.

Otherwise maybe there's a way to include the package name in the path
to avoid such conflicts?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer