Re: cdn.debian.net as a project service?

Michael Vogt schrieb am Monday, den 21. March 2011:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 01:35:23AM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> [..]
> > P.S. apt also provides a "mirror" method (just like http, ftp, etc) but I
> > consider it to be suboptimal and a poor way to tackle the problem.
>
> Why exactly do you feel this way? What problems do you see with it?
>
> I see some benefits in the mirror method like that the mirror list is
> cached locally (on apt-get update) so the mirror service is hit less
> often. Also if the central service is down apt can still use the
> cached local info. Plus it supports automatic retry if a mirror fails.
I agree here. Some kind of local override would also be nice. It would be
nice if I can run my own local mirror service, for example on my laptop I
want to use some local mirrors if I am in a specific network. Afaik there is
currently no way to dynamically choose a mirror in apt, based on a local
decision.

Alex