Re: Transitional packages with conffiles

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Transitional packages with conffiles"):
>> Looking into the cause we discovered that the problem is that
>> dhcp3-client is now a transitional package that pulls in
>> isc-dhcp-client. The new package expects its config files in /etc/dhcp
>> while the old had /etc/dhcp3/. The changes made to the old config no
>> longer affect the new client.
>
> Well surely the question is: why are the files moved to a different
> directory ?  Why is the package renamed, even ?  Do we need to be able
> to co-install the old and new ISC DHCP clients ?!
>
> Ian.

That is a question with a specific answere for every single transition
and irelevant to the question about what to do in general.

But if you must know I think in this case it is to correct the mistake
made with dhcp v3 where the major version was added to the dir
name. Using /etc/dhcp3 for a v4 dhcp seems wrong.

MfG
        Goswin