Re: oops I sent a courtesy copy in violation of the code of conduct

On 12/03/11 05:14, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

Therefore perhaps
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
could be amended to mention that adding a Mail-Followup-To header might
add an additional wall of defense for those who wish to cut down even
further the possibility they might receive a courtesy copy from the less
technically adept.

Personally, I think the code of conduct should be amended, along with the list software. So far, my research shows that the difference between people (like myself) who prefer to get the two copies and people who don't does not depend on level of technical knowledge, but specifics of method of reading the lists. I am subscribed to lots and lots of mailing lists. All mail from those lists gets automatically delivered to dedicated folders automatically. This means I'm highly likely to miss a reply to my own emails to the list unless I get another, direct, copy (which doesn't have the list hidden headers, and therefor stays in my inbox). I *like* to get two copies, as it increases the chance that I actually get to see the replies to my own emails.

I understand and respect the fact that other people, due to using a mail client that does not allow filtering based on hidden headers, because they are only subscribed to a couple of mailing lists, or for whatever other reason, do not appreciate the extra copy. The problem is that I cannot tell them apart.

Since the default for all non-mailing list communication should be "reply to all" (after all, if someone decided to CC a third party on a conversation they started with you, it's a bit impolite to cut said third party off from the reply), I think the current internet trend to treat the use of "reply to all" as a mistake is misguided.

The solution I propose is already implemented in mailing list software such as mailman. In it, there is a per-user settable flag called "avoid duplicates". If it is set, if the mailing list detects that a CC or To recipient is also a mailing list subscriber, that subscriber does not get mailed a copy of the mail. This allows everyone to always hit 'reply to all', and have those who wish to receive an extra copy get it, and those who do not (such as most other subscribers to this list) not.

I should point out that several mailing lists I'm subscribed to where this topic was a constant cause of bickering among the mailing participants switched to mailman, and the result was quiet on the 'reply to all' front for several years now.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.