Re: cdn.debian.net as a project service?

#include <hallo.h>
* Michael Vogt [Fri, Mar 11 2011, 09:33:40AM]:

> > Looks like the main thing missing for this to work is an
> > implementation of the server?
>
> Yeah. There is a implementation around launchpad of the simple
> protocol, I don't know much about it, but cache-country-mirrors.txt is
> probably a good starting point in the LP source.
>
> > What is the protocol?
>
> The current implementation will just hit the http url
> http://mirrors.debian.org/mirror and read a list of base urls from
> it. Like:
>
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> http://ftp.tu-clausthal.de/pub/linux/debian/
>
> As mentioned before it should be extended to either include the
> (release,arch) in the request or the server needs to add it to the
> returned data.
>
> > Maybe this would be a good gsoc project?
>
> Sounds good to me, I'm not much of a server guy but I could certainly
> help with improving the client side of apt.

Whatever you design, please keep the developers of apt proxies
(apt-cacher, apt-cacher-ng, apt-proxy, approx) in the communication
loop, so the particular applications can cope with the changes as soon
as possible.

If done properly, they could actually provide a transparent bridge to
the new functionality for legacy clients.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
<LGS> Halloechen, ihr Spinner, so frueh auf?
<nusse> nein, wir schlafen alle im kollektiv