Re: cdn.debian.net as a project service?

I like the idea of having apt choose the mirror, rather than the admins
of cdn.debian.net. It lessens the centralization. Also, it would require
fewer changes from mirror admins to participate.

On to, 2011-03-10 at 21:55 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM, The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:06:03PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >> If one has or downloads a list of mirrors, what's a good way to
> >> choose the best one? Ping time?
> >
> > Package: netselect-apt
>
> apt-spy is another one. It downloads Packages files from all the
> mirrors in a region or country and reports the fastest.

Packages files are pretty big, and having to download several of them is
quite a stumbling block. If I'm on a metered connection, I don't want to
have to download several unnecessary megabytes just to see which mirror
is fastest.

Ping times, of course, are not a particularly good way to pick a mirror,
either.

On the other hand, we don't necessarily have to be able to pick the
optimal mirror. It's probably good enough to pick a good one. Also,
picking the mirror should be just one function (or class or module or
whatever) in apt, so everything else could be implemented independent of
the choice of heuristic to choose a mirror.

Would someone be willing to mentor a GSoC project for this? Or do it
themselves?

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/