Re: Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2) for dpkg-maintscript-helper okay?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:53:22AM -0500, Anders Kaseorg wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > For packages in wheezy/sid, it's redundant because the versioned dependency
> > is already satisfied by the version of dpkg in squeeze, i.e., it's met even
> > before upgrading to wheezy or sid.

> I note that it’s potentially still relevant for the future Ubuntu 10.04
> LTS to 12.04 LTS upgrade, since dpkg-maintscript-helper isn’t in 10.04 LTS
> (dpkg 1.15.5.6ubuntu4.5).  Obviously, Debian is under no obligation to
> make Ubuntu upgrades easier, although it would perhaps be nice if
> packagers had the option of doing so.

Right, that's a good point too.  I agree that, if keeping a Pre-Depends
around longer can help derivatives support clean upgrades from their stable
releases, it's at least worth considering.

Please read my previous comments as meaning: you shouldn't keep around a
Pre-Depends on a version of dpkg found in the stable release *just* for
Debian's sake.

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 08:16:47AM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> I might be mistaken here, but afaik in Ubuntu the only supported upgrade
> option is using update-manager and update-manager should be able to do
> such tricks like upgrading dpkg before other packages.

Sure, and such tricks are not very scalable. :)  Upgrade ordering
requirements that *can* be expressed as package dependencies *should* be
expressed as package dependencies, with update-manager quirks used as a last
resort...