Re: udev keeps device label - BUG?

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 18:37 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I got the proble, that a once given label is stored by udev, although the
> label of the device is deleted by mlabel.
>
> Whenever I put it in, the device keeps its first given label, as it is stored
> in its database (I guess).
>
> Is there a way, to configure udev so, that labels (but UUIDs) are NOT stored?
>
> I read, that it is no good idea, to delete the whole database at udev start,
> and I wondered, if it is wanted at all, that labels are permanently stored.
[...]

Labels and UUIDs are stored only on the filesystems they come from and
in the blkid cache in /etc/blkid.tab.  That cache is cleared and
regenerated whenever you reboot.  You can do this at any time by
running:

    blkid -c /dev/null -w /etc/blkid.tab

udev does not have a database of its own; it uses blkid to look up
labels and UUIDs.

FAT filesystems actually have 2 labels, and not every tool writes to
both of them.  Looking at the code, I think mlabel tries to do so, but
it might not be reliable.  Try using dosfslabel instead, as I fixed that
a little while ago and am confident that it does the right thing.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings