Re: Ruby changes for Wheezy

On 03/04/2011 02:00 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 mars 2011 à 11:16 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
>> === Use alternatives to switch between Ruby implementations ===
>> There is a huge demand (see
>> [[http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=548917|#548917]])
>> for using alternatives to switch between Ruby implementations. This
>> would provide a way to mimic what RVM provides in a cleaner way, and
>> will help the Ruby community with moving to 1.9.x or other
>> implementations.
>
> I think this would be asking for a disaster. A given version of the
> distribution should provide a given version of /usr/bin/ruby. Otherwise
> you’re just going to see third-party software (and often Debian
> packages) break in horrible ways.

Indeed. You would want to define a default version and some 'supported'
(but non-default) other versions. Again my recommendation - look at the
way how these things are handled in Python (yeah, ignore the discussions
around varoius Python helpers and so on).
 GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F