Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

Le Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:02:39AM +0000, Neil Williams a écrit :

> Why is it acceptable for window managers to use a menu which cannot support
> translation?

Actually it does : http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/05/msg00011.html

This said, I think that translating the Debian menu is a terrible waste, since
either the equivalent Desktop entries are either already translated, or if they
are not, then the translator's work on the Debian menu entry is not directly
forwardable upstream.

As suggested in this thread an earlier, a possible compromise between the
current duplication of work (two menu files) and dropping completely the Debian
menu system would be to modify it to use natively Desktop menu entries. There is
already a wiki page that lists similarities and differences:

http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/DebianMenuUsingDesktopEntries

That would require a C programmer to work on the Debian menu system. Perhaps it
could be a project for the Google Summer of Code ? If we go that direction, I
volunteer to help for the huge transition.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,