Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 21:44 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> I'd like us to decide on a policy about enable/disable flags in
> /etc/default in general.  Either all daemons should have them or no
> daemons should have them, and if we have them, I think we should have
> the value in the default file should be standardised.
>
> Personally, I'd rather we didn't have them, as this is supposed to be
> controlled by the rcN.d links and if that interface is too hard for
> people we should fix that rather than invent multiple ways of disabling
> daemons, but the current mess is, well, a mess.

+1

I think the existence of this FOO_ENABLED stuff is symptomatic of the
fact that update-rc.d, at least by itself, isn't sufficient for the
needs of packagers (let alone end-users, who often end up wrongly
thinking that this is the tool they are supposed to use to
enable/disable init scripts)

	sean