Re: Default Homedir Permissions

On Viernes 18 Febrero 2011 18:44:25 Ron Johnson escribió:
> On 02/18/2011 07:26 AM, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> > On Jueves 17 Febrero 2011 22:18:25 Ron Johnson escribió:
> >> On 02/17/2011 08:58 AM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> There's a heck of a lot of middle ground between "Fort Knox" and
> >> "Hippy Commune".
> >
> > We are not a hippy comune, just two married people, but I like to hear
> > music from my wife's home, and she uses to see documents that are on my
> > home, so the actual default fits quite well for 90% of computers out
> > there: home computers.
>
> One solution is be ~/Shared/Music & ~/Shared/Documents.

That's more complicated than the actual simpler solution

> Another solution is "groups".  (If you want to use a computer, you
> should learn how to use it...)

That's more complicated too... I use that only when write access is needed

> A third solution is moving all the shared "stuff" out of $HOME and
> into a separate partition symlinked back to $HOME.

That needs to be thought on on installation, and moreover complicates security
copies.

[...]
> > Think too on fathers accessing their minor child homes,
>
> The root password gets me just about anywhere I want to go.

root access is just for more serious things, like system administration, and
it is recommended not to run graphical apps as root, so it is not the
solution, just your broken workaround over an actually non existant problem

> >                                                         offices in which
> >
> > documents are property of the bussiness and not of any worker, etc.
>
> Since the documents are the property of the business, not the
> workers, they should be in shared folders anyway.

Why? The default on creating a document is to save it on user's home, just let
it not to be private. There a re a lot of people happy with the actual
default, so the best solution is to keep it as is, and allow those admins who
need it to change the behaviour on their systems only

Noel
er Envite