Re: Wanted: system/volunteer to do whole-archive rebuild (×3) to test sbuild

On 15/02/11 at 11:35 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 15, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
>
> > - with a lot of disc space
> How many TB?
>
> > - and a lot of spare CPU cycles
> Is sbuild able to scale linearly to 16-32 CPUs in a single VM or does it
> need many smaller servers?
> And how long would this take with e.g. 96 2.1 GHz Opteron CPU cores?

You can run several sbuild concurrently on the same node. In my setup, I
use sbuild with tarballs on tmpfs, and the main limiting factor for
scaling the number of concurrent sbuilds is RAM (which is still better
than I/O for me).

With enough machines/cores, the time for the whole rebuild is quickly
bound by the duration of the build for some big packages. In the past,
openoffice.org was the main blocker, but there are other "annoying"
packages now, such as openjdk-6 and insighttoolkit. When I don't build
the 4 packages that take the more time, a full archive rebuild
(including arch:all) takes ~4h.

Roger, it seems that you already got several offers, but if needed, I
could also help with that (I've done archive rebuilds for some DDs on a
quite regular basis).

- Lucas