Re: Bits from the Security Team (for those that care about bits)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:19:32AM +0100, Iustin Pop wrote:
> First, tests run during a package build are good, but they do not
> ensure, for example, that the package as installed is working OK. I've
> been thinking that (also) providing tests to be run after the package is
> installed (and not on the build results) would be most useful in
> ensuring that both the build process and the packaging is correct.
>
> Second, README.test are designed for human consumption, whereas a
> standardisation of how to invoke the tests would allow for much more
> automation. E.g. piuparts would not only be able to test that the
> install succeeds, but the automated tests also work.

Exactly. In the NeuroDebian team we started playing around with more
comprehensive testing -- both regarding single packages, but also
integration tests involving multiple packages. We started composing a
SPEC for a testing framework, but we haven't gotten very far, yet. What
we have is here

  http://neuro.debian.net/proj_debtest.html

and here

  http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-exppsy/neurodebian.git;a=blob_plain;f=sandbox/proposal_regressiontestframwork.moin

If somebody is interested in working on this topic, we'd be glad to join
forces.

Originally, we wanted to develop the SPEC a little further, but since
the topic came up, I figured it might be better to add these pointers
now.

Michael

--
Michael Hanke