security updates introducing breakage

Hello,

What is policy when security updates for stable introduce new
regressions in software that weren't there before? Can these get fixed
in stable?

e.g. I have had somebody complain to me that this bug:

which was introduced into stable through a security update, has been
fixed in unstable/testing, but doesn't seem to be fixed in stable?

What is the recommended way of querying issues like this? The bug in
question is archived and closed because it is fixed in unstable, but
no attempt has been made to fix the package in stable. So users are
forced to install the non-security updated version to work around
this.

Thanks.

--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>