Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

Hi,

On 2011-01-17, James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
>> This is what I find unacceptable about unattended-upgrades:
>> case "${1}" in
>>        hibernate)
>>                python /usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrade-shutdown
>>                ;;
> The bug[0] which was the impetus behind adding that script seems sound
> to me.  Delaying hibernation to ensure that the system isn't left in an
> unbootable state is a fair trade-off.

the question here might be if it's fair to delay hibernation or if it should
abort hibernation to happen at all, no?

The user is left without any feedback while the unattended-upgrades step is
supposed to terminate at some point.

(FWIW, I feel critical is an inflated severity for this issue.  It might be
worth fixing, though, albeit I guess that pm-utils doesn't provide the
infrastructure to provide failure causes back to the user?  In the link you
gave there's also [1].)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/191514/comments/13