Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> Different package objectives. cron-apt may be what you are actually
> thinking of. Even then, I wouldn't use cron-apt on a laptop.

Well, I do like security updates to just be there and I don't like to do
sysadmin tasks.  So I want some sort of automated package upgrades.  I
used to have just a "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" cron job.  But
unattended-upgrades provided a few nice features I wanted, like the
ability to restrict sources and packages are included in the automated
upgrade.

Will check out cron-apt, but I still don't see why unattended-upgrades
should mess with hibernation.  Even less so if it is intended for
servers, which should never hibernate at all.

> You could also seek clarification of the package descriptions to make
> it clearer that unattended-upgrades is more commonly found on a server
> than a laptop. (Unless it's a laptop with a faulty battery and is
> largely used as a desktop anyway.)

Sorry, I just don't see that.  There's nothing here indicating that this
package isn't suitable for any class of system:

 This package can download and install security upgrades automatically
 and unattended, taking care to only install packages from the
 configured APT source, and checking for dpkg prompts about
 configuration file changes.
 .
 This script is the backend for the APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade
 option.

Bjørn