Re: ObsoleteConffilesOfInstalledPackages

On Sun January 16 2011 12:15:18 Roger Leigh wrote:
> The main problem with this script is that all it does is spit out
> the available information.  It doesn't actually check if the user
> modified one of the conffiles.  An example is attached.  Modifying
> it to automatically purge "safe" packages where the user made no
> modifications would be fairly trivial.

Hi Roger,

There are no removed packages on our systems.  Obsolete conffiles
are unused and unusable, whether or not modified by the sysadmin.

The obsolete conffiles here belong to properly installed packages.

This data was collected not with a view to purging packages but
rather with a view to determining the prevalance of the problem
and ultimately a low-priority mass bug filing.

--Mike Bird