Re: wrong devices seen in squeeze

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 21:38 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> on my (older) system, I discovered a weired behaviour: although I am using
> IDE-harddrives, they are seen as /dev/sdX (IDE-drives should be discovered as
> /dev/hdX). Is this a kernel-decision?

This is a kernel change.  If you are using the current kernel image
packages, you were informed of this during the upgrade.

> In /etc/fstab are only entries with
> "/dev/hdX". Because of this, it is impossible to get grub-pc running
> (kernel-panic)
[...]

The kernel panics if you specify an invalid root device on the command
line.  During the upgrade, you were asked whether configuration files
should be modified to be independent of the device name changes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings