Re: Static linking: pkgconfig vs libtool

]] Simon McVittie

| Upstreams are only meant to change the .pc filename when they make an
| incompatible change to the API - if XFCE 4 is still compatible with the API
| (but not necessarily the ABI) of the earliest version that had xfprint-1.0.pc,
| then it shouldn't be renamed.

This seems to be the trend, but there's nothing in pkg-config's policies
or best practices guide that specifies this.  I'm a bit undecided on it,
since «changing API» can be changing the name of an element of an
obscure struct or changing the whole API around.  One of them should
cause an API bump, one should not, or at least so I think.

--
Tollef Fog Heen