Re: Full install/removal/upgrade test results available

"brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 01:41:49PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

>>> Also note that no frontend has ever made use of §7.6.2 and handled
>>> upgrading obsolete packages to their replacements.

>> There's a reason for that: it's not possible to create a
>> Policy-compliant package that could use 7.6.2 in that fashion.

> Wait, what?

> Are you saying that other parts of Policy conflict with §7.6.2?  Or are
> you saying that the Debian tools and infrastructure don't support it?
> Or something else entirely?

Ack, sorry.  I was completely wrong on this because I assumed I knew what
Goswin was talking about but confused this with a previous discussion.

No, 7.6.2 doesn't contradict other parts of Policy, and I'm not familiar
with the issues in using that for transitional packages (other than the
general problem that Conflicts Is Hard To Get Right).  I thought Gowsin
was talking about 7.6.*1*, the provision where packages are removed if all
of their files are replaced, which isn't a usable way to eliminate
transitional packages due to other Policy requirements.