Re: Debian Installer 6.0 Beta1 release (WPA support)

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 12:14:27AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 11:53:23PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Since most of the system is not translated, having a yet another
> > untranslated line is not the end of the world.  And I'm afraid that typical
> > translations make it hard for even native users of a language to understand
> > what a given menu entry means. [...]
>
> I think that was largely uncalled for.  Sure, for hackers from the 80s
> who grew up having to use english to communicate with a computer, some
> translation to their native language may seem odd (as they are to me),
> but for a child in Africa which does not know what english is in the
> first place?

That's why I support your solution of making untranslated things hidden in
the "expert" mode.

> Also, the two major desktop environment are very well translated as far
> as I know, so there is no real gap here and "most of the system" those
> users face are indeed well translated.  If you want to look at kernel
> printk's or some Unix server's configuration file comments - sure those
> are english.  But we didn't do the big effort to have d-i in Farsi for
> the people who grew up on BSD.

Thus, it may be good to hide anything advanced from the clicky-clicky UI,
but it would be bad to lose them altogether.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be