Re: Richard A Nelson (Rick) <cowboy@debian.org> MIA

Hello Richard A Nelson,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:30:59PM +0000, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On 09/27/2010 10:14 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33:05PM +0200, Harald Jenny wrote:
> >> I'm sorry for disturbing all of you but I'm currently facing the problem that
> >> the maintainer of the Debian sendmail package, Richard A Nelson, seems to be
> >> lost. He does not react to bug reports nor mails concerning the libmilter
> >> package which is used by some other software. Please if anybody is in contact
> >> with him try to convince him that an update of this package is really needed.
> >> If there is no response from him I must contact the release team and ask if
> >> they would be willing to accept an NMU as the bug in libmilter bites a lot of
> >> other software.
>
> I have indeed been MIA, working though back-to-back product releases - and now
> have some breathing room before it all starts over again.
>
> I had an upload of sendmail 8.14.4 all ready to go, but got bitten by DB 4.8
> changes that completely broke sendmail (and a few other apps), and now there's
> been a NMU or two that I have to refit and re-check DB 4.7 vs 4.8.
>
> However, since we're now frozen, I'm not sure if a new version is going to be
> accepted.  As I recall, upstream did not use the suggested patch verbatim, so
> any updates to 8.14.3 should check against 8.14.4.
>
> I'll get 8.14.4 into unstable in the next day or so, but what happens to
> 'stable' is likely going to be a policy/RM call.

sorry to disturb you but it seems like a month has passed and the situation is
still unclear. Trying to contact you in private seems to fail so I was forced
to use this way. Could you give us a quick overview what the current state of
packaging sendmail and libmilter is? Do you need any help? Is there a chance to
get this new version still into Squeeze (release team?) or should we rather
focus on backporting the necessary changes to 8.14.3? As the libmilter problem
renders a class of applications unreliable this should IMHO really be
classified as RC bug.

> [...]
>         would not be initialized for use in the client either.
>         Patch from Kazuteru Okahashi of IIJ.
>     If a Diffie-Hellman cipher is selected for STARTTLS, the
>         handshake could fail with some TLS implementations
>         because the prime used by the server is not long enough.
>         Note: the initialization of the DSA/DH parameters for
>         the server can take a significant amount of time on slow
>         machines. This can be turned off by setting DHParameters
>         to none or a file (see doc/op/op.me).  Patch from
>         Petr Lampa of the Brno University of Technology.
>     Fix handling of `b' modifier for DaemonPortOptions on little
>         endian machines for loopback address.  Patch from
>         John Beck of Sun Microsystems.
>     Fix a potential memory leak in libsmdb/smdb1.c found by parfait.
>         Based on patch from Jonathan Gray of OpenBSD.
>     If a milter sets the reply code to "421" during the transfer
>         of the body, the SMTP server will terminate the SMTP session
>         with that error to match the behavior of the other callbacks.
>     Return EX_IOERR (instead of 0) if a mail submission fails due to
>         missing disk space in the mail queue.  Based on patch
>         from Martin Poole of RedHat.
>     CONFIG: Using FEATURE(`ldap_routing')'s `nodomain' argument would
>         cause addresses not found in LDAP to be misparsed.
>     CONFIG: Using a CN restriction did not work for TLS_Clt as it
>         referred to a wrong macro.  Patch from John Gardiner
>         Myers of Proofpoint.
>     CONFIG: The option relaytofulladdress of FEATURE(`access_db')
>         did not work if FEATURE(`relay_hosts_only') is used too.
>         Problem noted by Kristian Shaw.
>     CONFIG: The internal function lower() was broken and hence
>         strcasecmp() did not work either, which could cause
>         problems for some FEATURE()s if upper case arguments
>         were used.  Patch from Vesa-Matti J Kari of the
>         University of Helsinki.
>     LIBMILTER: Fix internal check whether a milter application
>         is compiled against the same version of libmilter as
>         it is linked against (especially useful for dynamic
>         libraries).
>     LIBMILTER: Fix memory leak that occurred when smfi_setsymlist()
>         was used.  Based on patch by Dan Lukes.
>     LIBMILTER: Document the effect of SMFIP_HDR_LEADSPC for filters
>         which add, insert, or replace headers.  From Benjamin
>         Pineau.
>     LIBMILTER: Fix error messages which refer to "select()" to be
>         correct if SM_CONF_POLL is used.  Based on patch from
>         John Nemeth.
>     LIBSM: Fix handling of LDAP search failures where the error is
>         carried in the search result itself, such as seen with
>         OpenLDAP proxy servers.
>     VACATION: Do not refer to a local variable outside its scope.
>         Based on patch from Mark Costlow of Southwest Cyberport.
>     Portability:
>         Enable HAVE_NANOSLEEP for SunOS 5.11. Patch from
>         John Beck of Sun Microsystems.
>         Drop NISPLUS from default SunOS 5.11 map definitions.
>         Patch from John Beck of Sun Microsystems.

Again if you need any help please contact me.

Kind regards
Harald Jenny