Re: bind runs apt-cache during shutdown????

Mike Bird wrote:
> Seen in Lenny.  Is it really necessary to run apt-cache in order
> to shut down BIND?

The Lenny package's /etc/init.d/bind9 script calls 'lsb_release -is'
to determine the distribution and if the 'lsb-release' package is
installed then the lsb_release script calls 'apt-cache policy'.  The
result of which was not used.  I believe you could comment out that
line without any ill effects although I didn't test it.  Or
alternatively you could remove the 'lsb-release' package.

The current Sid version of bind9's /etc/init.d/bind9 script does not
call 'lsb_release' and therefore this issue seems to have been
addressed in the latest Squeeze.

Bob

P.S. On my 2004 1.8GHz Pentium M laptop:

  $ time lsb_release -is
  Debian

  real    0m0.135s
  user    0m0.116s