Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 16:48 +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> If we decide to reject 'admin', I think we should use sudo.  I find the
> argument that admin is confusing given the presence of adm fairly
> convincing -- It's all too easy to say something like "could you add
> fred to the adm group" over the phone and pronounce 'adm' as 'admin'.

At work we use "admin" to hold all administrative staff (think
paperwork) so I would vote against that.

> Sadly, we are not the first to make this decision though, and having
> admin on Ubuntu and sudo on Debian would be a pain for people that have
> mixed sites, or even for admins that just have access to some of each.

The admin group is already used in update-notifier though (#502392) and
perhaps also other software coming from Ubuntu.

--
-- arthur - adejong@debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --