Re: Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 Debian Report

 Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Adrian von Bidder
<avbidder@fortytwo.ch>  wrote:
>  Hi Arthur,
>
>  On Monday 20 September 2010 11.37:04 Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
>  [GSoC report]
>
>  Hmm.  It would have been nice to hear about what the students did and how
>  far they got in their GSoC projects instead of what they did at DC10.

The report is an aggregation of joint reports from students and
mentors ([1]). I combined and posted what I received. Some pairs
didn't send me their blurbs on time, but I suppose that some students
being back to school already is a reason.

Note that I have complete data as part of official GSoC evaluations
but their content is private to mentors by GSoC rule, so I'm still
keeping tabs on things, don't worry :)
I do worry. Unless I'm missing something, this is not the fourth Debian GSoC, but the fifth, and again, it's hard to believe this SoC was reasonably useful. The report we get has some information on 7 projects, although 8 are supposed to have been successful, and as Adrian and Olivier mentioned, no project results in most cases. And what about the unsuccessful projects? Their faith may not be relevant for d-d-a, but not documenting what happened, perhaps somewhere else, will not help new Debian GSoC admins to start with a good understanding of the challenges.

I would recommend requiring candidate mentors to agree to share evaluations with GSoC admins, so admins can at least pick information on results when a report has to be made.

At its current scale, the summer of code is approximately equivalent to a potential indirect subsidy of 50 000 USD and a direct subsidy of 5000 USD. 5000 may not be a lot, but if we don't have enough volunteers to complete missing administrative manpower, then we should be honest about it and ask for more involvement... instead of having a misleading tone of optimism in the report. Yes, the SoC is surely a positive thing for Debian, but considering the resources granted, I almost feel ashamed to see how modest the results have been so far. (Note that I have not extensively monitored the SoC. The results may be greater than I imagine, but this is worryingly non-obvious.)

I must still thank you for sending a report. My first reaction was "Finally", I am just disappointed by the content.