Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:40:30 +0200, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de>
wrote:

> I've collected several rules that upstreams should follow to make
> distro maintainer's life much easier:
>
> http://www.metux.de/index.php/de/component/content/article/57.html
>
> Free feel to comment on it :)

About autoconf stuff:
 - Why require autogen.sh? On a release, configure script should be
present. No need to rebuild it. Some users just don't have recent enough
autotools to rebuild the configure. Moreover, with modern autotools, I tend
to think that autoreconf -i is just as simple as autogen.sh.
 - Why require building in a separate tree? Why it helps, most of the
packages we have just build in the same source tree.
 - Not using AC_TRY_RUN is too strong. This macro has a parameter to be
used when cross-compiling. It is more useful to detect a problem when not
cross-compiling with AC_TRY_RUN than to not detect it at all.