Re: RFH: How to compile swf files from source

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:

> But people working with Flash programs uses FLA format as source format?

Only those who specifically rely on Adobe's Flash authoring tools.
Anyone who uses Linux and builds their Flash files using free tools
will usually deal with plain text ActionScript (or other programming
language) and assets in normal media formats like JPEG, PNG, GIF, WAV,
MP3 etc.

> In this case, FLA could be  the preferred form of modification and hence
> the source file.

Correct. This is a similar situation to a Microsoft Word document
being source for a HTML document except that we can't read or modify
FLA. Games have been rejected from Debian or moved to non-free before
because we cannot read or modify the "source code" for their data
component.

> The fact that it is difficult to modify is annoying but
> we cannot  require that each  program must be  able to be  modified with
> ease only with tools in main.

FLA is neither modifiable nor buildable with Debian.

> I had  a package which also  ships a SWF along  with a FLA and  an AS. I
> assumed that SWF could be built from  FLA and AS. I did not find how and
> therefore, I just removed the SWF from the binary package.

I think that usually the AS would not be distributed like that,
normally it would be inside the FLA file. Perhaps the SWF only
consists of code and the AS is split out as a convenience. You might
try using mtasc on the AS file to see what you get as a result.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise