Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:52:50AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:02:52 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum
> <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:

> >> Involvement of Debian funds would cause problems, but there are other options.
> >>
> >> We could have Debian maintain a list of consultants and companies that provide
> >> phone and Jabber support.  Also a mapping of consultants to areas of expertise
> >> would be good (EG if someone happens to need some paid expert advice on Debian
> >> SE Linux ;).
> >
> >We currently have 827 consultants in 64 countries listed on
> >http://www.debian.org/consultants/, which is pretty easy to find. It's
> >true that this listing could be improved, but still, it's there (also,
> >you are not listed).
>
> It is also grossly ineffective. My company is listed there since 2004
> and has received like three incoming questions and not a single buck
> of revenue via this medium.

Mine has been listed since it was incorporated (about a year more than
yours, apparently) and has received two or three inquiries and one
customer.

That's actually even better than the amount of inquiries we've received
through the phone book, FWIW.

But, hey, YMMV.

trying to fool the system.