Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> In Launchpad, for anything in universe, the typical experience is that
> your bug goes into a black hole until a month or two later someone sends
> you some form letter about it.

That's why I stopped reporting bugs against Fedora years ago, they kept being
automatically closed a couple of releases later.  I would report a bug in RHEL
and have it not deemed suitable for an update to the current release (which
was fair), I would report it against Fedora and then it would be closed
automatically.

The Red Hat bug tracking system is less efficient for me than the Debian one.
The ratio of bug reports that they receive to the number of bugs that they can
fix is obviously worse than that of Debian.  So the end result is that people
like me are deterred from filing bug reports and people with less ability to
correctly diagnose problems find it easier.

It seems to me that the Debian bug tracking system is better than that of Red
Hat.  I don't recall anything about the Ubuntu bug tracker so I can't comment
on that.

In recent times I haven't bothered trying to report bugs against other
distributions.  When I find a bug in some other distribution I develop a work-
around for it there and then try to reproduce it in Debian.  If I can
reproduce it in Debian then I file a Debian bug report.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog